Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The first caddis hatch

Photo by Joseph Ridge
Last Sunday, May 24, was a day I've looked forward to all winter. It was the first burst -- in the North Country, at least -- of tricoptera, the moth-like aquatic bug we know as caddis.

Although the timing is different every year, the caddis arrived in earnest last weekend in and around Rangeley, Maine, rising from the surface of the river with their fanciful aerial displays, glittering in the morning sunlight as they fulfilled their timeless spring ritual.

I know that the devoted nymph fishermen roll their eyes, but for a hard-headed, hard-core dry fly fisherman, this is a seasonal watershed. This is when the trout really wake up. Two weeks earlier, I threw some of my favorite caddis immitations onto my favorite stream to no avail, while a half-dozen fishermen nearby with droppers and strike indicators were clearly having some fun with some nice trout. Call me stubborn, but I usually like to wait for the trout to take my offering off the top of the water.

Long story short, last weekend -- Sunday, to be precise -- the trout woke up and started poking through the surface. My season has arrived.

Visit my other blog for a view of what I see happening on the streams.
http://limineblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment